Thursday, December 3, 2009

Please do not throw away books - letter to Borders from Xephyr Inkpen

Hello all -

First I wanted to say I am a fan of Borders. I love the atmosphere and availability of books. The staff have always been nice and helpful. It is one of my holiday shopping spots. So thank you for perpetuating reading.

But I also wanted to say I am shocked to hear the practice of dumpstering books. I have worked for a small local bookstore before, I grew up exploring the wonderful library in my hometown and I had two lovely parents who read to me as a child. The thought of throwing away books is horrifying. I understand there is such a thing a profits & margins, but throwing away books is an atrocious way to keep supply down.

Please reconsider this practice. Just as Carnegie changed America by building libraries, Borders too could be known as great philanthropists. Donate to libraries, donate to soldiers abroad, donate to local schools. But please, please do not throw away books. That is like throwing away knowledge, and an educated customer base is one that will shop at your store.

As a child if my favorite library book had a sticker inside that said 'donated by Borders' I would be more likely to look fondly upon the bookstore when I grew up. Please consider this as an investment in the future of both our country and your company.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely~

Xephyr Inkpen

(December 3, 2009 at 4:03am)

No comments:

Post a Comment